Wednesday, August 10, 2011

3rd Annual Black Landlord BBQ Poster


The following piece is a poster I just designed for Black Landlord. I have done work before for them in the past. You can view a gig poster I recently did by clicking HERE and a flier I designed a couple years back by clicking HERE. I love their music. I love that they rock a full-on funk band and have Maxx S. Williams as lead MC. It’s just really great music. It’s strong, home-grown Philly party music. But it’s also smart and well executed. So I am happy when Black Landlord asks me to do some work.

I’m always going on about music on here, about how it affects the lines I draw while I am working. Music is super-important to me and my work. I rely on it like fuel. So to have my work associated publicly with music that I really like is a great promotional portfolio piece for me.

This poster is for the upcoming 3rd Annual Black Landlord BBQ. It’s pretty self-explanatory. The BBQ is a local summer music festival. I tried to portray Maxx (as I always do) as a larger than life party animal. I had a lot of fun messing with transparency gradients in Photoshop for the subtle smoke and charcoal layers. I know the subject matter is very simple, but I was pleased with this project. People who know me know that I am a BBQ maniac. I’m always rocking my Char-Griller and slow cooking ribs, chicken, etc. It’s nice to get a project like this. Even though there was a decent amount of work involved, the hours flew by because I had so much fun doing it. Plus it is for a great cause.

No comments: