Saturday, September 26, 2009

Portrait

This is one of my favorite portraits that I ever did. I drew it in pencil on bristol, then inked most of it with a Kuretake brush pen. The blue lines were done with a colored Micron pen.

It's of two brothers named Aaron & Brandon. I referenced a photo from when they were just young'ns. They are a lot older now. When I drew this, it really reminded me of being that age and how close I was with my brother and sister during our childhood. I know I wasn't always a great brother to them. I was a middle child, and I complained a lot. But they always looked out for me. I don't know what I'd do or where I'd be without my family. I can't imagine my life without them.

Another reason this was one of my favorites is because these are Joannie's boys. I hadn't met them yet, so drawing this portrait was my informal introduction to her kids. This was a birthday present for her sister, Jan (who is also one of my favorite people). Joannie picked out the frame. She was very adamant about making this frame, because she knows Jan's taste so well. I was touched when we gave Jan the picture, because she got choked up. Jan is one of the toughest gals I've ever met, but she is also a very strong-hearted person. Jan rules.

It's nice to do work sometimes that really has meaning and effect on someone. It makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time with this "art" thing.

No comments: